Monday, February 18, 2013

"Monster Nuclear Family" (2010), Acrylic & colored pencil on canvas

  This is a painting I did a few years back. I decided to make it one of my first posts, because it exemplifies my style and sense of humor. But, what the hell does all that mean? Well...
   My approach to art has always worked best if I let things develop in a happenstance...not totally Dada...manner. I love blasting away at a darkened background and letting the subtleties unveil themselves...almost like ghosts emerging out from a Rothko painting...subletting my subconscious with Rorschach menageries. Then I begin letting the problem-solving auspicate my inclinations...dissect the plane into conjoined incongruities...administer imbalance and balance with point-counterpoint aesthetic injections...buoy roaming bits of color onto the undulating patterns.         
   As things start to congeal  I dive in close to deliver as much excessive details as possible...I like working so close that the whole dissipates into a singular constituent...then, on lapses in mediated pain-Ting...I pull back to a more macro vision to see how I can join the whole...Frankenstein stitching...linking it back into the Gestating-Gestalt. 
   I keep up this madness till I achieve a dab bit sanguine of lucidity...or just say stop!
   You might ask what does this painting mean...well, it is a bit of a satire of the "modern" nuclear family. After all we are all monsters...especially in our own families. This is a blended family...Dad and mum...a son from a previous marriage, three kids, mum's parents (giving disapproving glances to step-grandson), brother-in-law and his blended family, plus the ghost of mum past and pet thing. All posed for their Owen-Mills moment...since that overly posed depiction often "reflects" reality...right?

No comments:

Post a Comment