|excerpt from The Cracker-Barrel Surrealist Sketchbook|
What do I like? As an audience member, what makes me linger...ogle...flinch...weep...scream?! Wow, that is a very broad question, but (cue music) "here are a few of my favorite things".
- DaVinci...how could you not be enamored with his genius.
- Hieronymus Bosch...his tortured conflicted visions are brilliantly disturbing
- Kale...I know, it's a plant/food, but I love the taste, love the nutrition
- R. Crumb...his line work, his aesthetic pen work is mesmerizing...his wacky toon lifestyle fascinates me
- Glenn Barr...wow, his retro-style and mastery of paint...awesomeness
- The Wonders of the Universe...Brian Cox does a great job humanizing astronomy
- The Golden Age of Illustrators...NC Wyeth, Howard Pyle, Arthur Rackham, Edward Dulac, Maxfield Parrish, Frank Schoonover....
- Children's artworks...from the early (and ongoing) work from my own kids to all others...their work exemplifies a cathartic honesty and integrity I covet
- Norman Rockwell...I feel his caricatures and painting style are brilliantly executed
- "Alien"...they should have stopped with the 1st movie, but the others have merits...just not as significantly on an artistic level
- Astronomical Art...I love the visionary concepts of other worlds