Monday, March 11, 2013

"Hello, I am Theo Egmund", 2013 Acrylic/Ink on paper

   Absurdity prevails! I have always admired the Surrealists, and their notion that "truth" looms quietly behind dreams and the subconscious. Of course truth is a slippery topic...it really depends on your point of view and other preconceived notions. For me truth is evasive even to myself; I often find glimmers of it tucked away in hidden corners of my work. It juts it's head out from under a patch of layered lines, or suddenly emerges out from a "randomly" chosen characterization. Numerous times I revisit a work and discover an oblivious homage or a subliminal image staring me in the face. 
   There is a tranquilizing liberating benefit to letting your psyche roam free range over an empty surface. A feeling of flow is unleashed, and I am free. There in my subdued-sub-dude eloquence, I am able to reach out past myself...to touch something more ethereal, strange, and powerful.
   The topic here follows my standard approach...I have no idea what the hell it means right now :) As mentioned before, black helps me to conjure these maniacal ideations. I begin with placement of the shape...it emerges as an egg-shape, it morphs into a face, then a body. The lyrics from I Am the Walrus echoes through my brain...Egg man...Egmund seems right. It seems like a fine fitting psychological feature. I set him adrift in a steaming pool of blankness/blackness. He is boiling. He is trapped. He is socializing. He is inane to his circumstances. He is me...he is you...koo koo kachoo.


No comments:

Post a Comment